Monday, April 16, 2012

21. Now for more Kitsch! Ugh. Let me be clear in saying that I don't like this stuff. I just find it morbidly fascinating. I decided to throw in some local pics here. This is a chair sold at Suburban Furniture on portland by all the other furniture stores. Its qualifies as Kitsch by using the rounded kidney type shapes and the bright gaudy colors.

20. Another find from Suburban Furniture. Can you believe how ugly this thing is? Its a bed by the way. Its Kitsch again because of the rounded kidney type shapes and the bright colors.

19. One more from Suburban Furniture. This one I actually like a bit. I suppose this could also qualify as post-modern. I think a lot of Kitsch could be confused with or doubly classified as post modern. This has the blatant kidney shape giving it a Kitsch look.

18. Here is another local picture. This is a local Rollerderby team named the Victory Dolls. Their whole look/ team persona is very retro and tries to achieve that Kitsch look and feel with a slightly edgy twist. Their look is Kitsch by emulating that 50's pin up/ overly gaudy era in their style. They do this with bright colors and tattoos, classic cars, and crass behavior ;).

17. CLassic cars brings me to, well classic cars. These cars used the dramatic fins, bright colors, and rounded geometry. I chose this as my classic car because it ties into my next photo.

16. Quintessential Kitsch: the Batman TV show from the 60's. Like the Jetsons this show has it all, the bright colors, the kidney type shapes, the overacting...

15. Remember these guys? These are the spitting image puppets, which still give me nightmares. They were big in the 80's I think. I would classify them as Kitsch because their caricature like nature and how over the top and grotesque they were.

14. The video game fallout 3 takes a Kitsch environment and then destroys it. You play a character in a post apocalyptic America where the remains of civilization are distinctly Kitsch. In this picture you can see the classic car, and the fake space ship both using the bright colors and rounded geometry.

13. Another picture from Fallout 3 exemplifying more of the Kitsch styling with this graphic showing an Indian Chief, and various starburst like elements.

12. Poodle skirts! Now thats Kitsch. Bright colors, over exaggerated in size, and poodles... Why poodles? I have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment